Engineering Manager - Core Infrastructure
At Booking, data drives our decisions. Technology is at our core. And innovation is everywhere. But our company is more than datasets, lines of code or A / B tests.
We’re the thrill of the first night in a new place. The excitement of the next morning. The friends you make. The journeys you take.
The sights you see. And the food you sample. Through our products, partners and people, we can empower everyone to experience the world.
With over 1.6 million room nights booked every day, accommodation represents the largest share of our business to date. We are responsible for accommodation growth, with clear ownership of all marketing, product and supply related to accommodations.
Our mission is to deliver the best customer experience and most varied selection of properties.
Do you want to build software that impacts millions of customers around the world, tackling some of the world's most complex ecommerce challenges?
We are looking for talented infrastructure Engineering managers to join our Core Infrastructure department in our Amsterdam HQ.
In Core Infrastructure we design, build and operate all the technology that our Booking product development teams need in order to deliver great travel products to our customers.
This includes, for instance, our on premise data centers, our cloud hosted Kubernetes clusters, MySQL / Cassandra / Elasticsearch database environment, HAProxy load balancers, Envoy service mesh, APigee gateway, Kafka streaming service, Hadoop big data storage, Graphite time series, Grafana dashboard platform, monitoring & alerting tools, CI / CD tooling, Perl / Java / Node.
js language frameworks and more...
As an Engineering Manager in the Core Infrastructure, you will lead engineering teams. You will leverage your technicality to grow those around you, drive your team’s performance and relentlessly improve the quality of your systems.
You are a role model who leads from the front.
You will guide teams through all aspects of engineering, being hands on when needed. You will own and operate critical, high scale services.
You will frequently collaborate with stakeholders in a variety of functions including but not limited to engineering, product, and leadership.
You will primarily manage, coach and develop an engineering team, ensuring the development of both (the individual and team as a whole) are in line with organisational objectives and direction.
You will be responsible for timely delivery of new features and with good quality. In addition to this, you will confer with leaders, and key stakeholders determine engineering feasibility, cost effectiveness, scalability and time-to-market for new and existing products.
- Inspire and motivate multiple cross functional product teams
- Directly manage Engineers in multiple teams
- Nurture, grow and develop engineering talent in the team
Technology, Craft & Delivery
- Technical Incident Management
- Building software applications
- Continuous Quality and Process Improvement
Architecture & Product Strategy
- Thought partner for Product to define, shape and deliver the roadmap
- Architectural Guidance
- Drive innovation in own team
- 5+ years of platform engineering experience
- At least 3 years of experience leading and managing a team of engineers in a fast-paced and complex environment
- Strong people management skills and experience dealing with complex people issues
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer or Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field or 5 years of progressively responsible experience in the specialty as equivalent
- Strong programming skills
- Strong business and technical vision
- A deep understanding of software development in a team, and a track record of hands-on developing and shipping software
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong work ethic; self-directed and resourceful
- Solution oriented and result driven
- Proactive, flexible and capable of working independently as well as working in a team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Analytical skills and data-driven mindset
- Living and working in Amsterdam, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe.
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real-time impact of your work on millions of travellers worldwide.
- Working in a fast-paced and performance driven culture.
- Opportunity to utilize technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions.
- Technical, behavioural and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation.
- Competitive compensation, benefits package, and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.
Booking is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.
Pre-Employment Screening :
If your application is successful, your personal data may be used for a pre-employment screening check by a third party as permitted by applicable law.
Depending on the vacancy and applicable law, a pre-employment screening may include employment history, education and other information (such as media information) that may be necessary for determining your qualifications and suitability for the open position at Booking.