Senior Analyst, Biodiversity
About the Role
Sustainalytics is seeking a qualified biodiversity expert to join its Thematic Expert Group. The Thematic Expert Group sits at the nexus of products and thought leadership for specific ESG themes.
This is an exciting position for anyone wishing to contribute to positive change within the area of biodiversity and nature.
This position would suit a ESG professional with broad expertise spanning various biodiversity, land use and ecosystem services matters, preferably with a deep understanding of international norms and standards.
The successful candidate will lead Sustainalytics’ analysis efforts by focusing on developing structured frameworks and improving research approaches related to biodiversity issues across products.
The role requires an experienced, highly motivated individual.
The ideal candidate would :
1) be able to apply both qualitative and quantitative methods,
2) understand ESG research methodologies, and
3) have deep and direct knowledge of biodiversity risks and impacts, industry and regulatory trends, relevant available datasets or research methods, and corporate best practices.
The candidate will also have demonstrated research and writing ability and strong data and analytical abilities. An understanding of, and interest in, broader ESG and sustainability issues, and their application in the investment decision-making process, would be an advantage for the position.
As the lead thematic expert for biodiversity, the successful candidate would :
Create rich and deep analysis on the impacts and risks of biodiversity through the focus of financial materiality and ESG;
this would include sub-industry overviews to overarching research frameworks.
- Provide specialized expertise to influence research strategy and product development.
- Contribute to the development of intellectual capital and provide insights that feed into internal and external thought leadership.
- Proactively create and engage in external and internal network of value-add partnerships to broaden the impact of the work.
- Degree in a related discipline (biodiversity, conservation, ecology or other relevant science).
- Minimum of 6-8 years of relevant work experience.
- Expertise in biodiversity issues, including : a firm understanding of financial materiality of biodiversity across a variety of subindustries, legislation in various jurisdictions, biodiversity and climate change, etc.
- Experience of dealing with clients and other stakeholders, including NGOs and other non-profits.
- Excellent presentation skills (both in spoken and written formats), e.g. ppt skills, client interaction skills
- Highly self-motivated with the ability to multi-task and deal with uncertainty in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong quantitative data analytical skills.
- Strong project management and execution skills.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of responsible investment.
- Alignment with Sustainalytics’ mission, vision and values
Sustainalytics is a Morningstar company dedicated to responsible investment with over 25 years' experience in ESG research and ratings.
With an extensive client base across asset managers, asset owners and investment banks, our mission is to provide the insights required for investors and companies to make more informed decisions that lead to a more just and sustainable global economy.
As Morningstar’s ESG center of excellence we are responsible for driving both the commercial success and innovation of its ESG products as well as its overall ESG strategy.
In these times, we rely on virtual team meetings and management practices, as well as a remote buddy program, to support a smooth integration in our virtual offices.
New team members are onboarded and start their first day with the company from the safety of their homes.
For more information, visit